úterý 10. února 2015

Stand up comedy today and forever

Sometimes it surprises me what kinds of different activities it is possible to do here in Belfast. Every day it´s something different. And when a friend found stand up comedy evening which was free for couchsurfers, there was no other possibility then to go see how concentrated irish humour looks like. In the common room in my dorms there was quite a lot of people so I asked them if they wanted to go too. Finally me, my 3 friends from some time before plus 6 other people spent a very nice evening. So I got to know people from my dorms a bit more too. There was me - a czech girl, 1 serbian, 1 indonesian, 1 belgian, 1 german, 2 brasilian and 3 french students.
The place is called Pavilion and it´s beautiful with vinyls on the walls. Irish accent of speakers was so amazing that when we came, I understood approximately 30% of what they were saying. Through the evening it slowly got better. From 30 to 40%, if I´m speaking about recognizing words and not about understanding the meaning. Unfortunately, the main speaker could see all of us are not laughing in the moments when everybody else was crying from laughter. So we needed to admit we´re international students and the guy was making fun of us. That we don´t understand if he tells all of this and that... I don´t know what he was saying but it involved genitals and activities with them.
During the evening there was a competition, when audience could write down their own jokes. The best one won 10 pounds voucher at the bar. That means 2 and half beer in this crazy expensive country. On the other hand, for me it is like detox. It´s not possible to get drunk here. Anyway, this is joke which was chosen as best:
What is the difference between Jesus and his picture? To hang a picture you need just one nail.

Then I remember this one:
What is the best kind of bees? Boobies.

And then we had to guess what is something furry on a surface and moist inside and something else. And it was not a women´s genital organ but a coconut. Now we also know that well educated pirate is called Aaarrghademic.
My joke was so good they even didn´t bother to read it. Even though I considered it pure british style, translated and culturally changed to be possible to use it in english. On the other hand they read just half of joke by a belgian guy so it was without a punch line.

My joke was:
A polar bear swimmes in an ocean and says: "Cooool..."

Original:
Plave kapr v medu a říká: "Hůstýýý..." (A carp/fish swimmes in honey and says: "Deeense". Does it make seeense?)

The czech one is just better. In a way I understand why it was not so funny for them. Even though we had problems with understanding, the show was fun and we definitely plan to go there every monday just to catch the irish accent. We´ll see if the speakers will handle poker face audience :D.

Motto of the day: Life is a stand up comedy. In (Northern) Ireland, you don´t understand it much.
First stand up comedian

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat