pondělí 9. února 2015

British kezboard and other technical complications

I mentioned how much I love Queen´s (University) Library many times. It´s beautiful, it´s eco-friendly, it´s huge, it has a café, it has a Narnia reading room, homeless smelly guy... I even can print and copy there. Anything is possible here, everything is in one place. But if you need to use a computer, it´s just pain in the ass, especially when you need to do something very quickly.
It takes half of your life (approximately 5 minutes) just to log on the computer. And then it´s not from the quickest machines anyway. But I guess it´s hard to run one house with 200 computers for students. So far I have biggest problem with british keyboard which makes the university computers impossible to use for me. Probably more for chatting or writting something informal than for my school work. But still, they use qwerty, we use mostly qwertz. And all the stuff like brackets or : or ! are for me in very strange position. So I just don´t use any smily faces at the library, because suddenly they all look demented >). And also I miss all of these: ůúěščřžýáíé. It´s so confusing. And the shift+alt magic to switch between czech and british keyboard is not working in UK. I don´t know why. I just need to do my schoolwork only on my laptop. Otherwise all of the sentences will look reallz crayz.
British kezboard
There are other confusing technical issues too. For example I totally forgot that in UK there is different kind of outlets. So I came here with no way how to charge my notebook or phone. It´s possible to buy travel adaptor everywhere, so it´s not a big deal if you will forget about it too. I´ve been to UK before but I´ve forgotten that there could be a problem like this. Every outlet here has it´s own switch. It´s probably good for safety or saving energy but it means that when something is turned off, the outlet is probably turned off too. In the Czech Republic we have these IT jokes like "I have broken PC" "And have you tried to turn it on?" or "Have you tried to plug it in?". In UK the joke has continuing "Have you switched the outlet on?" But we´re approaching british sense of humour here too.
One of the strangest things here is that they drive in left side of the road. Everybody knows it, so no surprise. But still it´s very confusing. When I am at crossing on a road I still don´t know from which direction I should expect cars comming. Now I´m at least getting used to really looking both ways, to the left and to the right. But first few days were hell. Busses are totaly opposite shape then I´m used to, so when I don´t think much and I want to get out of the bus, I always try to infiltrate driver´s little cabin. And going by bus is really anxious time for me because I still feel we are just overtaking the cars on the right side and we should at some moment go back to the right line. But we´re never ever going back to the right line! I just still feel something is horribly wrong with the world when I´m using some kind of transportation.

Devilish outlets with switches
Last technical problem I face here is tap water. Every sink here has 2 taps. One for hot water and one for cold water. That means you can choose from 2 possibilities. You can either burn yourself or freeze your hands. I still don´t know how to use the taps so that it will be pleasant to wash my hands. Or to peacefully wash my dishes. It´s really not user-friendly. Please tell me how to wash my hands here and not hurt myself in the process! :D

Motto of the day: You can meet weird everyday stuff on your study abroad. Try to look for them before leaving. Then it won´t be big surprise for you and you won´t be screwed for example when your phone runs out of battery.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat